Páginas

Wednesday 15 April 2020

Light

What Is Light?

Annie's family was having a bonfire last weekend. It was getting dark outside, so she stayed near the bonfire. But that made her curious: How do bonfires create light much like the Sun does? So, Annie asked her dad.

He explained that, like the bonfire, the sun burns gasses to emit (or give off) light. However, the sun burns different types of gasses, which explains why the sun gives off a different color of light than the bonfire.

While they use different types of gasses, there is one main reason that both emit light: the burning of gasses causes a chemical reaction that creates electromagnetic energy, which is a type of energy that takes the form of magnetic and electrical waves.

In physics, waves are the invisible vibrations that affect objects and even space to create light, color and more. The electromagnetic energy created from the burning gasses is what makes light.

But there's much more to be learned about light. In fact, light has different behaviours depending on the type of object that it hits. It can be reflected, refracted, absorbed or transmitted.

Light has three main properties: it is an electromagnetic wave, it travels in straight lines and it moves very fast. Light travels at the speed of light which is the fastest speed possible in the universe. That is 300.000 km per second!

Watch this video and write the most important ideas in your notebook.

Then make a comment telling me what aspect of light you like most and why.



Enjoy!

43 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. simon amo tampoco me dega ver el video por que pone que hay que pagar

      Delete
  3. Hi Simon, I can´t play the video because I have to pay, how can I do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. simon the i cant saw the video

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like mor the light of phenomena. Bye 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too I like more the light of phenomena 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Simon! How are you? I am fine, Simon I can't see the video because It says that I have to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello i am Ana the light is do interesting 🤯

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Simon, I can not see the video he found out, because he stands still and asks me for passwords to continue watching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right! I have uploaded another video! Watch that one!

      Delete
  10. I like the translucent better because it lets the light through but they don't see you. Like for example some curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello simon would not let me watch the video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have uploaded another video. 😀😁

      Delete
    2. I like it transparent because is rare to see through an object.😁

      Delete
  12. Hi Simon, I'm Aritz.The aspect of light I like the most is reflected,because it reflects light in the other objects.For example,a mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Aritz! Well done! Reflection is the aspect of light that you like more. 😀😎

      Delete
  13. hello Simon.I can´t play the video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch the other one that I have uploaded! 😀

      Delete
  14. Hi Simon!I like more translucent light because there can't be so much or nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I don't understand what you mean exactly. Can you explain?

      Delete
    2. You aren't in dark but also you aren't with a lot of light.Like a curtain.

      Delete
  15. I like more the reflection energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. because I like to see how things are reflected.

      Delete
    2. Reflection is a characteristic of light not an energy. In other words Reflection is when light bounces off an object. If the surface is smooth and shiny, like a mirror or polished metal, the light will reflect at the same angle as it hit the surface.

      😀😊

      Delete
  16. hi! i am Celia Sierra, i like very much the translucent light from the window because I really like to look through the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translucent means that it lets "some" of the light go through but you cannot "see" things well. A piece of paper is translucent because it lets you see some light through but you cannot see anything.

      A window made by glass is transparent. 😊😉

      Delete
  17. I like so mucho the video😁I am Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! I like it too!! Those are very cool videos and you can learn with them! 😀😁😊

      Delete
  18. Hi Simon I can see the video thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello everyone! I'm Raúl.
    What I like most is the speed of light. It can go round the Earth seven times per second! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello Simon.
    i like transparent because you can see through the objects, for example:windows

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello I am Javier I like the video and the experiment.😀

    ReplyDelete